Thursday, May 10, 2007

Today I Believe

I believe in the power of the bicycle. I believe you can gain wisdom and understanding by riding a bike. I believe Americans need more exercise. I believe more Americans should get out from behind the wheel of their cars, and step onto pedals. I believe clipless pedals are safety devices. I believe anyone not wearing a helmet when riding a bike is a criminal. I believe the roads and trails need to be shared.

I believe in the mythical power of Ventoux, L'Alpe d'Huez, and the Champs Elysees. I believe I know what a hundred miles means. I believe in the most famous 8 seconds in sport, and it has nothing to do with bull riding. I believe we can cure cancer, MS and other diseases. I believe in sunny days, long roads with no traffic, suffering in the mountains, and knowing I will top The Wall next time I face it. I believe in Bicycle Adventures (www.bicycleadventures.com) I believe in Stevie and Brandon. I believe one of the sexiest things I've ever seen is my wife on her new Cervelo. I believe in Bob Roll, the suitcase of courage, and pedaling like a man possessed.

I believe in the praying mantis. I believe my dad's hearing is better with his new Phonak hearing aid. I believe the pain in my hip makes me faster, and that one day it will not hurt as much. I believe in being 9 seconds late to start things, knowing it will work out in the end. I believe one day I will have a cycleops power meter, and that it will not be more expensive than the bike I put it on. I believe in punching the air with my fist when I finish a ride. I believe in the resolve to compete to the finish line. I believe I know what I saw on 7/20/06: a courageous, clean battle to the finish line from a true champion. I believe the biggest amount of dope that day was in the peloton that refused to chase. I believe in clean, fair sporting events. I believe in due process, equal protection, the scientific method, and the exposition of facts for all to see and examine. I believe even the most well-intentioned public servants can be corrupt and incompetent.

I believe in Floyd Landis, the 2006 Tour de France Champion.

No comments: