Sunday, June 29, 2008

FWIW

For wider distribution, I repost my comment to Sunday's (6/29) TBV Roundup:

("Eightzero") said...

I can't believe I'm reading my last morning roundup....

I too will add my deepest thanks and congratulations to TBV, strbk and Judge Hue for their work here. It has changed my life, and the world is a better place for your efforts. You should be very proud of what you've done.

Thank you as well to all the commenters. Your contributions to reasoned debate is the essence of scientific inquiry and the skepticism that must take place when some tells us "it is obvious." Well done, all of you.

Lastly and most importantly, no matter where we are 24 hours from now, I wish to thank Floyd and his family. I remember the thrill I felt upon watching his ride in 2006. I still have stage 20 saved on my Tivo. I can't imagine what it has been like for them in the last 24 months, but their efforts have been a source of continuous inspiration to me. I have used his travail as an example to my law students (yes, I assigned his case as a class project), and have told any who would listen just how important it is to be afforded rights when the rich and powerful wish to exploit us for their personal gain. Those that stand up to injustice done will forever be my heroes.

Floyd: come next what may, you're my hero. One day I will have a t-shirt or jersey made: "My Hero won the 2006 Tour de France."

Thank you all.

---
And for good measure, I'll add some slightly editorialized words of Drs. Jones:

TBV: The only thing that matters are the principles of fairness and justice.
USADA: What about the dopers?
TBV: Dick Pound would agree with me!
USADA: Two selfless martyrs. Jesus Christ!
[TBV slaps him across the face]
TBV: That's for blasphemy. The quest for justice and fairness is not sport - it's a race against evil! If justice is subverted by WADA and the ADAs, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the Earth! Do you understand me?!

We're pilgrims in an unholy land....

No comments: