Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why titanium?

Why the journey to titanium, and not carbon? Maybe I've bought into the marketing hype (or maybe I haven't) but I fully expect my next bike to be the last one I'll ever buy. Life's uncertain, but I just sort of envision getting a custom made bike exactly fit for me, and then riding it for a long, long time. It seems to me that carbon has some drawbacks, not the least of which is that it fails catastrophically. Crack it and generally you're done. Ti can be repaired, and unlike steel (another choice I considered) it doesn't corrode. I can see myself scratching my bike, and I don't want to obsess about the paint.

Also meant to point out on the last post that Seven was pretty familiar with Zac's work; they commended his work. Very comforting to know I seem to be making choices others are agreeing with.

Many years ago when I bought my first new car, I recall spending lots of time with the brochures. I didn't shop much, and bought what I thought looked good. It was a lemon, perhaps one of the worst choices and purchases I ever made - a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. It was a PoS from the word go. I replaced it with a Nissan P/U, one of the *best* purchases I ever made. But with the P/U, I didn't spend much time agonizing over pictures in a brochure. The last car we bought new (a 2006 Ford Focus) has been a good purchase, but it was sort of "ho hum. Go to the Ford dealer and get an A plan on a car commuter car." Took it for 3 right turns, didn't even ask if other colors were available. It has been fine so far.

But this bike purchase has been kind of exciting. Unlike a car, this is something of a toy. Hence the holiday atmosphere.

No comments: